Saturday, October 5, 2019

Media Literacy Blog


Welcome To my Literacy Blog!

I am a teacher candidate in my fifth year of concurrent education J/I at Brock University. In the next couple of weeks, I am going to be talking about some resources for educators to bring into the classroom that focuses on the four strands of literacy. Some of the resources I have used personally and other resources I have seen other educators use in their classrooms.

Media Literacy

This week I am going to be focusing on the Ontario Elementary Literacy Curriculum strand Media Literacy. I am not tech-savvy and with a lot of media being online today with society becoming more technologically advanced, I am scared to teach this strand in the classroom. Although, I find it to be a vital component to teach in literacy as I myself have seen a fake post on social media and believed what I had been reading (I hate to admit, but more than once!). Students need to develop a critical lens when looking at media and be able to detect the reliability and biases of a resource.

Resource on What is Media Literacy?

I have used this resource myself when creating lesson plans for some of my classes to understand what media literacy is. This resource I find is for educators more than students. Jean Kilbourne has an EdD and is an expert on media literacy. In her YouTube video, she states the importance of educating students on media. I find this resource to be vital in understanding the importance of being literate in media. Kilbourne states that “95% of the information we get is controlled by only 5 major corporations who are in the business of marketing”. I interact with news stories every day on social media. Sometimes I share these stories with other educators on my social media accounts. Knowing that the media is controlled by such few corporations, I will now be more careful about what I share with other educators and how I present the information. 

Resource on #FakeNews

This resource is a great video that gives a lesson plan on how to teach about credible sources online. Emily Cook a teacher of grades 6 and 8 teaches her students on finding sites that are trustworthy and reliable to use for research. Emily Cook assigns her students a site where they must evaluate whether it is trustworthy or not a credible site to use. Emily Cook gives her students a chart that they must fill out while exploring the website. The chart gives them guidelines on whether this site is a good resource to use or not a trustworthy site. Emily Cook to make sure that her students are understanding the task has a class discussion on the sites that the students explore. Emily Cook’s lesson plan would be a good introductory lesson to Media literacy that especially focuses on the topic of fake news and credible resources. This activity lines up with the specific expectation of media literacy in the Ontario Elementary Language Curriculum of students being able to “demonstrate an understanding of a variety of media texts” (p. 14) and “identify some media forms and explain how the convention and techniques associated with them are used to create meaning” (p. 14). I would incorporate this lesson into a grade 5 or 6 classroom. I find that it is a vital tool students need to have when conducting research. 

An additional resource that can be useful with Emily Cook’s lesson is the Nike Commercial of Kobe Bryant jumping over a car. I would show this commercial to my students to show them that not everything they see on TV is true. The Nike Ad shows Kobe Bryant jumping over a speeding car but in reality, that jump is a highly dangerous stunt and impossible. I would also then show them the next YouTube video shows how the real commercial was filmed and how camera ticks can make the stunt look real.




Resource on Biases in Media

Media Smarts is a great resource that teaches different aspects of media. On Media Smarts they provide a resource on marketing advertisements and the strategies that corporations use in their ads and social media sites to target different groups of people to buy into their product. The resource sets out the Canadian laws on media and how corporations follow these guidelines while still reaching out to their targeted audiences. The Ontario Elementary Literacy Curriculum specific expectation for the media literacy strand is students being able to” identify some media forms and explain how the conventions and techniques associated with them are used to create meaning” (p.14). This resource covers that expectation as it teaches the techniques behind different media forms. I went to an arts conference in September and one of the speakers discusses using Media Smarts in their classroom. They showed me how Media Smarts can help students understand the elements used to create media so that students could create their different media platforms. I find that Media Smarts provides resources for all different age groups from grades 1 to 8. 

Additional resources that can be used with this source: 

  Animoto is a free video maker. This tool can be used in helping to teach media studies as educators can have students create their own commercials to sell a product of their choice. I would incorporate this tool in grades 4 and up. This will allow students to meet the expectation in the curriculum of being able to “create a variety of media texts for different purposes and audiences, using appropriate forms, conventions, and techniques” (p. 14). In grade 11, I used Animoto to create a movie trailer for a book I read in English class. I liked how this tool is free and easy to use. If you use the pictures or music provided in Animoto they are copyright free so you do not need to get permission to use them or cite them.
This game is created by Media Smarts an organization designed to teach about critical media. The game is targeted for a young audience and it gets children to pick the gimmicks that they want to use for their cereal advertisement. As children pick their choices the game describes how cereal companies use these techniques to get children interested in buying their product. When playing this game it definitely was targeted for a grade 1 to 4 audience. The game uses simple language and cartoon images that younger children would love. I enjoyed how the game described the different aspects of the commercial that I designed and why commercials incorporate these aspects.


Stay Connected!

I will be posting in the next couple of weeks on resources that I have discovered or used that connects to the other strands in the Ontario Language Curriculum. Please comment below of any resources that you have used in your classroom to teach media literacy! 

Resources
Animoto. (2019) retrieved from  https://animoto.com

[Common Sense Education]. (23 Oct 2014). Using Critical Thinking to Find Trustworthy Websites. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/c3vzNooWqPA

Kilbourne J. [Kids in the House]. (7 Oct 2013). The Importance of Teaching Kids Media Literacy - Jean Kilbourne. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/cz-zatefhIs

[MixtapeLink]. (18 Feb 2011). How Kobe Bryant Jumped over a Speeding Car?. [Video file.] Retrieved from https://youtu.be/OyUXG_LUJVs

Media Smarts: Canada’s Centre for Digital and Media Literacy. Marketing and Consumerism. Retrieved from http://mediasmarts.ca/digital-media-literacy/media-issues/marketing-consumerism

Media Smarts. (2019). CoCo’s AdverSmarts. Retrieved from http://mediasmarts.ca/sites/mediasmarts/files/games/coco/flash/start.html

Ontario Ministry of Education. (2006). The Ontario curriculum grades 1‐8: Language [Program of Studies]. Retrieved from
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/language18currb.pdf

[rockboy1138]. (29 May 2009). Sport Science: Kobe Jumps Car Part 2 of 2. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/NUzryIW-MLo



No comments:

Post a Comment